A sprinkling of winter magic, anyone?! These fun DIY natural, biodegradable pine cones are the perfect way to add holiday cheer this year! In under 10 minutes, you can create snowy pinecones with just 4 simple ‘ingredients’!
- Pine Cones
- Epsom salt, regular salt or kosher salt. We used this salt to ensure the flakes looked big and realistic!
- Craft Glue: it must dry clear like Mod Podge (which is what I used) or this Elmer’s.
- Brush or sponge (here is the sponge we used – hint: half the price at the store!)
- This first step is optional. If you’d like to add a bit of color to your cones simply follow the directions for step 2, but use paint instead of glue. Then, follow step 2 & step 3 to create a snowy effect once the paint has dried. The middle pine cone in my photo is an example of one I painted with a very pale pink.
- Coat the outer edges of the pine cones with glue using your sponge or brush. For the look we created, I used a sponge dipped in Mod Podge. Gently brush upward from the bottom of the pine cone. Next, flip the cone right-side up and paint a light coat on the top side of the cone.
- Lastly, I created the natural snowy effect with a salty sprinkling! We poured about a cup of salt into a small bowl before we sprinkled the pine cones. You can also gently roll the coated pine cones, but be very gentle when doing so.
- Easy, peasy! Now, it’s time to decorate your home for the holidays with your natural, homemade pine cones!!
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” Regardless, we only recommend products or services that have extensively researched; and products that we use personally, have used and would use in the future. We pride ourselves on honesty and integrity to our readers.
Full Disclaimer and Disclosure here.